Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Jealousy


Real Housewives of Atlanta

It was Sunday night and what else was I doing but watching the best of Sunday night TV. And that just so happened to be The Real Housewives of Atlanta. This week, the girls werein Las Vegas for a Girls Trip. Porsha has an issue with going to a strip club. She doesn’t like strip clubs because it demoralizes women. I get that. But her real issue, as I perceive it anyway, is that she doesn’t want to go because of her man (he wouldn't "let her" was thrown around.

I respect my husband more than anything I’ve ever respected on this Earth – myself included. I remember my bachelorette party – in Vegas, mind you – and my thought to anything was, “if I wouldn’t do this in front of Nate, it’s cheating”. 

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve thought differently about this. Mostly because I’ve heard: “well, you go to the bathroom without Nate there, does that mean you’re cheating on him then?” I’ve definitely rethought the whole thing.

My thought is this: I trust my husband with everything in me. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be with him. My husband trusts me with everything in him (at least I think he does). If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be with me. I don’t have a problem when my husband goes away without me and he doesn’t have a problem when I go away without him. Truth is we’re going to do whatever it is we’re going to do. Worrying or being jealous won’t stop him or me from doing something unmentionable. We love each other, we love our relationship, and we love the life we have together.

If there is any fiber in your body that thinks what you’re doing is wrong or that the person you’re with is doing wrong, you’re probably right. Trust that instinct. Go with it and do something about it. However, if those feelings aren't there, don't create them. Agonizing over something won't stop it from happening or make it happen. Life doesn't work that way. Instead, try focusing on what's actually happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment