Sunday, June 7, 2015

I Am Important


This was the first full weekend I have been away from Justin. Nate and I have had nights off here and there, but this was the first 48-hour stretch without him. This was a weird and emotional weekend for me. On one hand, I have loved reconnecting with my husband; on the other, I want to see my baby. I talked about Justin and checked in via text every chance I got to see how he was doing. I asked my mom to send me pictures of him, as if I had forgotten what he looked like. I know this is normal, but holy cow, woman, cut the cord!

I have re-learned many things this weekend. First and foremost, it is essential to have time away from kids. Nate and I got to do the things we haven’t been able to do since before Justin. Like go out to dinner, play games, and SLEEP. Uninterrupted, blissful sleep. Nate and I got to talk and just be with each other. It has been very nice.

I also got some alone time in. I sat in the backyard, read a good book, and drank wine. It was so relaxing and peaceful. I enjoyed every minute of it. In the last year, I have done just a few things for myself. I realized there are so many things I want to do, but haven’t. I need to make sure I take frequent time-outs for myself. 

I was also reminded just how very much I love my son. Sure I write posts about how frustrating it is to be a mom or how I wish I could give Justin away, but at the end of the day, I love this boy more than life itself. I can’t imagine my life without him and am so blessed to have and know him. My life has changed drastically since he entered this world and I will forever be thankful.

My take-away from this weekend is that it is okay to have time away – from your kid, spouse, whoever. I am important. My aspirations are important. My hobbies are important. My time alone is important. Although kind of a whirlwind, conflicting weekend, I am so grateful to have had it.

Oh, and Pedialyte works wonders for a hangover. You’re welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment