Thursday, October 17, 2013

Appreciation

So, apparently, the expression of my appreciation of the phrase “Thank You” has turned me in into a person who requires acknowledgement and praise for what I do.

I feel as if we are living in a world of entitlement. As if we are owed something. As if we deserve something. As if our mere presence is reason enough for gifts, promotions, donations, etcetera, to just fall to our feet. Wrong. So, so, wrong.

We are here because someone has created us. We are here because someone has unselfishly stepped aside so we can have the best possible life. We are here because someone has given us words of encouragement. We are here because someone has shown us what not to do. We are here because someone has died for our sins (if you believe that sort of thing). We have accomplished what we have because someone has helped us along the way. Bottom line: We are here because of someone else.

I was heartbroken when my appreciation for appreciation was questioned and was saddened that I even needed to argue my stance.

For the record, I do not expect gratitude for all I do. However, when I donate my hard earned and (very, very) minimal money, I would hope to receive a “Thank You” from the friend or colleague raising that money. Without donations from your friends and peers, you would not have been able to reach your goal. Without a gift, your wedding/shower/birthday/Christmas lists would remain empty.

If someone does something nice for you, say “Thank You”. Just today, I watched Monday night’s episode of How I Met your Mother. Marshall was horrified to learn he had not sent a “Thank You” note to his friend, Ted. He said (and I’m paraphrasing here) that Thank You notes are extremely important to his family and they actually have a motto: (not paraphrased) “Lick it before your stick it”. As in, lick the stamp before you stick it in the mail. I wish more families had this motto.


If you truly feel you are where you are in this exact moment, with all you have accomplished because you have done so 100% on your own, then disregard this post. However, if you feel as if someone has helped you get to this moment, just show appreciation. Just say, “Thank You”. These two words are not said enough. If you feel gratitude for something, just say so. Just say, “Thank You”.

No comments:

Post a Comment